9/14/11

Knitting-Can you please pick up that stitch you just dropped

I’M A KNITTER, SWEATERS FOR EVERYONE!  After my very first knitting class, I feel confident in my statement above.  Now these sweaters for everyone might take a while to make and distribute, BUT I guarantee a sweater to everyone within 1-3 years. 
I had my very first knitting class tonight and it was a huge success. I was the youngest person in the class, shocker I know, but everyone was very friendly and supportive.  Although there was a lot of polite chatter and comradery between our group of strangers, talk did drift from knitting and yarn to other odd ball topics such as Russian airport security, Croatia and the U.S turning into a war torn, poverty stricken nation.  I kept my head down and my fingers moving during these bits of conversation, I wanted no parts of that. 
The first thing we learned was how to “cast-on” which is basically getting the yarn on the needle so that you can actually start knitting.  I became a pro at that because I did it wrong so many times, that all of my re-doing of the casting made me an expert.  I also became an expert on how to make a jumbled mess, how to drop a stitch and also how to mess things up so badly that the instructor actually says, “I don’t think I can fix this for you, let’s just start fresh.”  After all of that though, I focused and went slow, and before I knew it, I was knitting.  I walked into class, not knowing a thing about yarn, and left with my blood, sweat and tears in my hand in the form of a....a....a very tiny could be pot holder pictured above.  My homework for this week is to try and knit every day.  By my next class, I hope to have something that resembles a half normal size potholder to show off to everyone. 

5 comments:

  1. Might be easier to buy one from the dollar store ha ha . Just joking, I use to make latch hook rugs, gave me a lot of time to think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knitting every day sounds like something a grandmother would do...your grandmother...who knitted you that scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A mother @ my church taught me to knit when i was in high school. Im sure i could pick it back up, but i started off with the same color yarn and about as much as u have there is what i completed. Maybe i'll pick your brain to see if i still have it. Esp. since i have the a-team. And fyi...that's no potholder;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia this is the funniest thing I have read/seen/heard today. I am in tears. Not "I don't think I can fix this" OMG that is ROF funny! Knowing how to knit a little ~ I can only imagine what you did! Keep it coming ~ I'm so looking forward to next week's classes!! Luv U!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a rewarding (read: aggravating as hell)hobby you are beginning, Kia. I wish you luck. The best thing about it? When someone you know has a baby, you have an immediate go-to gift...and they won't mind too much if it is a bit lopsided. They will hound you, however, if you promise to make them something and do not deliver. I am not speaking from experience though, I'm just...you know... that's what I have heard. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete